2013/01/28

The Puppet Masters by Robert A. Heinlein

The Puppet MastersThe Puppet Masters by Robert A. Heinlein
Series: None
Genre: Light Sci-Fi
Published: 1951
My rating: Save It



I read this book for the 2nd annual Vintage SciFi Month. This event Andrea has been hosting since 2012. I sure do enjoy reading some good old fashion SciFi. It is also nice to see what the author(s) think what the future to them would be like and how off or right on their thoughts were as well.

This is the second Heinlein book that I have read now. My first was The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, I liked that one. I thought that this one was a little better in my opinion. Getting this out of the way I thought that this book was quite a bit like Wells' War of the Worlds. I just cannot believe that this book was wrote 50 years ago. Heinlein was able to dream up cellphones,satellite relay, and other types of technology. I would like one of the cars though. Where can I buy one :)

This book starts off in 2007, and a flying saucer landed in Iowa...yes Iowa of all places.A Hoax. Two agents(Sam and Mary), however, of the U.S. Intellegence agency disappeared while on the scene. Four more agents are sent in, and they disappear. The head of the agency and two of his top agents are sent in and escape with their discovery. The earth is under attack and is being invaded by slug-like aliens who can latch on to a human and totally control his/her mind.

It is interesting to see how the government tries to institutes different "Acts" so the Agency can see whom is affected easier. I cannot imagine going around in the buff for LONG periods of time in public.

What I Liked:  This book was nonstop action and you were not sure what was going to happen on the next page. I was not sure if the solution that Sam's theory was going to work in the end. I thought that it was funny that the marriage license you could choose different durations for it.

What I Disliked:  The thing I did not like about the book was the RH portrays women, but that is where it shows its age.

I will be reading more of RH in the future.

7 comments:

  1. Heinlein was one of my first forays into SciFi, with Job: A Comedy of Justice. I'm not sure how many more I've read. He's amazing. Sometimes his books are simply filled with action and entertainment, other times they challenge all of societies conventions. Hope you enjoy more of his writing. For pure entertainment, I recommend Glory Road. For something more though provoking (and a true scifi must read) Stranger in a Strange Land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for further recommendations. I cannot wait to get more of his writings under my belt.

      Delete
  2. So happy you liked The Puppetmasters, it's one of my favorites and certainly one his more fun books. It's been years since I read it, and now i am inspired for a re-read, especially since I don't remember the details.

    Janna - Job is SOOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that I was able to spark your interest to re-read this one. It was quite interesting :)

      Delete
  3. I actually didn't really enjoy the first Heinlein book I read... maybe I will have to try him again.

    Allison (Geek Banter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend that you start with this one. This one is not to deep compared to the first RH book that I read.

      Delete
  4. This is one of my favorite Heinlein books, if not the favorite. I just read it for the first time a few years ago but it reminded me so much of the kind of SF books that turned me on to the genre when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like to see what you are thinking.

2004 Lena Girls State Trip

  This past weekend was something new for us. We decided to go to HS Girls State Basketball this year. It made it extra special that an area...