2014/01/21

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (The Giver Quartet, #1)The Giver by Lois Lowry
Series: The Giver #1
Genres: Science Fiction
Pages: 179 
My rating: Save It

This is a great book. I wish everyone would read this book. There is are so many people that are missing out on a great piece of work. Its deceptively simplistic language reveals a rather horrifying dystopian world. Lois Lowry sure is craft with her words and action throughout this book.

This is a world where people are not given freedom to decide anything for themselves - their spouses, children, careers, future, even clothes or haircuts are all pre-planned and pre-selected for them. This futuristic world to me would suck. I sure hope that this is not what the future generations have to look forward to. They are not allowed to even own their feelings and dreams. I cannot imagine having everything in my life set out before me and having no choices..:( Of course, it is done for common good - to preserve peace and serenity, to avoid any disturbance, be that war, hunger, over-population, or simply personal discomfort of pain. Only two people in this community are able to understand what people miss out on. The main character Jonas is one of these people.

“The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared."

 

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe they are only this year getting around to a move of this. I am looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I cannot wait to see the movie. I think it might be seen in the theater. That is a RARE occasion for me..lol.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like to see what you are thinking.

2004 Lena Girls State Trip

  This past weekend was something new for us. We decided to go to HS Girls State Basketball this year. It made it extra special that an area...